In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

(more)Contender Questions

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
Have any of you guys seen any "fire" or "Hi-Viz" sights for Contender barrells?

Are there any stocks that you've switched to that takes care of the "trigger guard slap" that you get when shooting hot loads?

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Have any of you guys seen any "fire" or "Hi-Viz" sights for Contender barrells?

Are there any stocks that you've switched to that takes care of the "trigger guard slap" that you get when shooting hot loads?

Thanks,

Ben

I don't know about the Hi-Viz Sights but I shoot a .445 Super Mag 10" barrel and a .45/70 12". I wear a pair of leather work gloves when shooting those hard kickers.[:(]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the TC Fiber Optics on 3 barrels. One is a Super 16 in 45-70. The second is a Bullberry 18 inch in 375 Win. and the third is a 10 inch 357 Max. All of these setups are primarily for use in heavy brush and I find the sights very quick to acquire.

As for getting thumped by the trigger guard in the heavier calibers. As I recall, in concert with the "easy open" upgrade there was some improvement in the guard. Shooting gloves may also help you, and if you haven't tried one ... check out the TC rubber insert grip. Lastly, the grip angle is different on the G2 yet you can use the original contender barrels so you may want to explore that option.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I like the Pachmayer rubber grips on my contenders. Helps a lot with a heavy recoiling caliber. For me anyway they are a lot better feeling than the rubber ones TC uses.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Ben I have seen them "Hi-Viz" sites some where I'll let you know.

Only thing I can say is keep your fingers out of the way [;)] J/K
    Try the rynite grip it's smaller more room for your fingers.

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have switched to a grip where my weak hand is on the forarm of the pistol instead of the normal two handed grip. No knuckle busting for me and I shoot ok like that.

0311 semper fi
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    32.jpg

Here's the combo that works for me!

Comfortable and never misses! It's
    always been a good hunter. 7-30 Waters.
    ape.jpg
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I hate to switch grips, because those old model grips really fit me well (when their not thumping my ring finger!)

Another quick question:

Are the Encore sights interchangable w/ the Contender?

What about Thompson's Black Powder sights?

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg